Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Look Right

Without even thinking about it, Erik and I planned an entire vacation where they drive on the wrong (left) side of the road. I have traveled enough in commonwealth countries to know that I should look right before crossing the street, but that requires consciously thinking that I am in a commonwealth country. At my first attempt crossing the street in Hong Kong, this thought had not yet occurred to me, so I looked left before stepping off the curb to head toward the median strip. Good thing Erik saw that bus coming from the other way and pulled me back on the sidewalk. After that brush with death, I was a little worried about adjusting back to the normal way of doing things. Thankfully, there were no close calls with buses, cars, or even bicycles, when I crossed from the parking structure to my building at work this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment