Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Islamic Art Museum

If you ever find yourself in KL, make sure you get to the Islamic Art Museum. They have an excellent collection of art, including textiles, ceramics, weapons, and jewelery, from Spain to China and everywhere in between. My favorite gallery was the one dedicated to Islamic architecture, where they had scale models of mosques and mausoleums from all over the Muslim world, and excellent descriptions of the key architectural features seen in these buildings depending on when and where they were built. My biggest disappointment, of the 20 or so buildings they featured, I have only been to one (the Taj Mahal). After trekking around a section of the Muslim world a few years ago and visiting almost every notable mosque I encountered, I feel like there should have been more overlap. Then again, the display did include 3 structures from Uzbekistan, and I don't think I have ever heard of a tourist going there.

It is also worth noting the the museum building was itself quite gorgeous, incorporating many classic Islamic motifs such as elaborate tile work and fountains with a modern, airy feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment