Friday, December 18, 2009

Passport Drama

On Sunday night, Liz asked me if my passport was good for another 6 months.  I knew it was good for 5 months, but didn't think about the fact that in order to leave the US for Hong Kong, Thailand, and Singapore, I would need to have a passport which expires 6 months from the last day of my trip.  I think it is really annoying that the expiration date is sort of meaningless for these countries, except to determine that you can't travel in the last 6 months of the passports valid time frame.

It was pretty nice to find out that you can get a passport in 1 day if you are dedicated and show up at the San Francisco passport office at 7 am in the morning when there are already 20 people waiting for the passport office to open at 9. 

Luckily, the wait isn't so bad because you meet a lot of people in line right away with the same predicament and a lot of questions about whether or not they will aqctually get a passport.  One guy seemed to know what was going on.  He eased our stress by saying that the first 75 people would surely get their passports.  We shared travel plans and the guy behind me happened to be from Hong Kong.  He said I could rent a suit for the wedding there for about $50, but that's the foreigner price.  I decided to go ahead and bring a suit though since the hassle of a rental would have been stressful. 

So, by Tuesday, I had my new passport and I am all set to go.

I decided to start freaking out about the whole passport issue because I remember having to wait for weeks and weeks to get it renewed and delivered before

No comments:

Post a Comment